The first part of any journey is figuring out what you want to achieve, for some that is easy and others it is much more difficult. But once you got that it is smooth sailing right?.... you start off all gung ho and nothing will ever stop you..... Oh how we wish that was true. Not saying it never happens but more often then not life has this way of "happening". When life happens your plans and your goals some how seem, well, less important... But that's not to say you don't still really want them. So I was thinking I wanted to share some tricks that I use in my life to stay on track be it a fitness goal, career goal, or personal goal.
When trying to achieve something:
1. Figure out what tools you have; resources, facilities, contacts. Write them down because later when you are all frazzled and in that moment where you think "oh I have no one to help me and no where to go" you can prove yourself wrong and finish you moment of stress and move on.
2. When you go to write these tools down be realistic and identify which tools you will actually work for you. Don't sign up for a gym if you know that thats the last place you want to be when your stressed.
3. Also, make sure you feel comfortable with your tools. If you have a contact that you would be too intimidated to reach out to disregard it. Acknowledge what you are comfortable with and strengthen those resources.
4. Plan for change and expect delays. For example, In long distance racing I often plan on missing at least one of my long runs during the training season. So I build in buffer weeks in my schedule allowing myself extra time incase I hit some road bumps along the way.
5. Have fun with what you decide to do! When in our lives did our goals become something we dreaded. Think back to when you were a kid, you would have little goals all the time and not even think about them. Also, if you didn't necessarily reach them you didn't beat yourself up about not climbing the tallest tree, or holding your breath as long as you could or having the biggest water balloon. You just went from one great task to the next and enjoyed the journey, and if you didn't like it you changed your plans. So be like a kid have fun and enjoy the journey!